Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Haiku. Low tide.

It probably is no surprise that a lot of folks send me funny emails. Or possibly, "funny" emails. And I often get them multiple times, from multiple sources. (And worse, multiple times from the same source.) Only fair, I suppose: I will often send 'em along, so I must be willing to receive 'em as well.

One that's been making the rounds for a while showed up in my email box today. Probably the fourth or fifth time I'd received it in the past few months. The "poem" made up of George W. Bush's statements, arranged for aesthetic presentation, which ends with the stanza:

Put food on your family!
Knock down the tollbooth!
Vulcanize society!
Make the pie higher! Make the pie higher!


Okay, cute enough, so far as cheap shots go. But what got me about this particular email is that, unlike the other times I'd received it, the poem was described - repeatedly - as a haiku. Well, no, says the nitpicker inside me. Blank verse, sure; but it's not a haiku.

Or, as my email reply said:

Quite funny poem.
But this is not a haiku:
I thought you should know.


No comments: