Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Equine flatulence: the soul of wit.

I thought it was a pretty crummy collection of ads televised during this year's Super Bowl. Personally, I thought that matched the quality of play in this year's Super Bowl, too; a minority opinion, I know. Sure, the game was exciting - it just wasn't good.

I thought all of Budweiser's ads were utterly pointless and unfunny, and none of them would cause me to want to buy Bud. A crotch-biting dog; yes, I want to support that concept. Cedric the Self-Styled Entertainer getting a bikini wax; I suppose I'd be willing to buy a Bud if they'd promise (a) he'd really be given a bikini wax and (b) they'd never use him in a commercial again. And horse farts? Well, I view that as Budweiser's contribution to Truth in Advertising, as that particular image is one that I associate very closely with the taste of Budweiser.

Also pointless and stupid were the ads for AOL. Their message seemed to be "If you're stupid enough to think we can super-accelerate your motorcycle, then we're the internet service provider for you!" No wonder they're having problems. Well, this'll give Ted Leonsis something to work on while he can't mess up his hockey team.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that Mike Ditka is a good spokesman for erectile dysfunction. He strikes me as a fine choice for the "Before" photo, though.

I thought the car ads were pretty stupid, with the exception of the Chevy truck ad with all the kids with soap in their mouths, which was kind of cute (although again, the ad caused no interest on my part to buy a Chevy truck, even a bright yellow convertible one).

I enjoyed the Pepsi Jimi Hendrix ad, for the music if nothing else. Did it cause me to want to go out and buy Pepsi? Well, no.

I liked the concept of the Willie Nelson advice-giving doll, and thought it was a great match for H & R Block. But enough to go there for tax advice? Again, no.

And I sort of enjoyed the NFL Network ad with players singing Tomorrow and "Jerry Jones" turning cartwheels. Of course, it was also an irrelevant ad to me, as my cable system doesn't offer the network (nor would I pay extra to receive it).

All in all, no classic ads, and none that were especially clever. Nothing to rival Apple's 1984 ad.

No comments: