Monday, January 05, 2004

It's all about the money.

I'm not sure what the "C" in BCS stands for. Near as I can tell, it should be silent. Sally Jenkin's column on the "championship" played last night is fascinating: it shows the lie behind the BCS and why the schools behind the BCS scheme are opposed to any actual reform - they'd have to give up the BCS money.

The BCS presidents would tell you that a playoff would erode their academic standards, not that the terms "BCS football players" and "scholarship" often appear in the same sentence without some sort of negative qualifier. A playoff would cause graduation rates to go down - think of the disaster that would cause at Oklahoma, where NCAA statistics show that a whopping 6 percent of its players graduate. And I wonder what playing in this year's I-AA championship game will do to the graduation rates at Delaware and Colgate. Not much, I'd imagine.

No comments: