Wednesday, March 30, 2005

An over-the-hill geek am I.

I'm not sure where I go to turn in my Geekdom passport, but it would appear that the correct time for that is now. They've released the lists of nominees for the 2005 Hugo awards, and I don't even recognize any of the authors in the Best Novel category, and only four of the 12 nominated authors in the categories for shorter works. And the novels and shorter pieces themselves? "It is to laugh."

Best Novel
The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks
Iron Council by China Mieville
Iron Sunrise by Charles Stross
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
River of Gods by Ian McDonald

Well, just maybe I can keep my membership for one more year. Now that I look more closely at the titles, I recognize one of them as a book I've started - but not yet finished - reading: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It's actually quite good - sort of a Harry Potter for adults - but it's also very, very long. Just the sort of book you want for a cross-country plane trip. Or possibly a train trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.