Sunday, May 16, 2004

New wine in new bottles.

Or, at least, new to the writer of this article. Quality wine with screwtops isn't new, although the wider adoption by California wineries is a good trend. But some of the other things talked about at length in the article - including canned sparkling wine from Niebaum-Coppola, cardboard cartons, and 1-liter glass jugs are different, and not especially great innovations. Cardboard milk cartons - Tetra Brik packaging, to be precise - strikes me as signalling cheap, low-quality wine. I really don't see the point. And tiny little 187 ml aluminum cans of sparkling wine? That screams "gimmick!" to me, although I'm sure they'll get some amount of trendy sales until the fad passes. Especially since they're pink aluminum cans. I'd like to know how they're avoiding the metallic tang that accompanies other canned drinks, unless that's considered to be a bonus flavor nuance. I've seen the Three Thieves one-liter screwtop jugs. It does make their wine stand out in the store; I'm not convinced that's necessarily a good thing.

No comments: