Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Convicted of battery, and sentenced to a dry cell.

There I was, last Thursday, having just jumped into the car, all set to go off to one of my favorite wine shops for a tasting from one of my favorite local vineyards - a tasting I'm willing to take credit for setting up. Just turn the key, and we're off.

RRr, Rrr, rrr, r-argh.

Hmm. Not a good sign. Tried it once more; no sound at all. Well, fine: I got to put my gasoline generator to good use again; first time since the hurricane. Within a half-hour, I was ready to go, so off I went to the wine tasting, which turned out to be fun.

Next day, off to do some errand or another, having completely forgotten the events of the night before. All I got this time was rr. Out came the generator again, and this time, the first errand was at the local car parts store, installing a new battery.

I suppose it was inevitable. Five-year-old car, five-year-old battery. And aging them doesn't make batteries better. But it made me wonder: does anyone ever replace their battery without having it die on them first? As I recall, I never have.

No comments: