Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Return of the King, pt. 2.

Report in the NY Times about people standing in line for the marathon screening of the Rings Cycle - a back-to-back-to-back showing of all three movies. The first person in line arrived at 5:30 a.m. today, or almost exactly 24 hours before the screening will end. (Hmmph. Star Wars fans camped out for days for the premiere of movies in that series. Well, okay, that was for a mid-May premiere.)

I suppose it's shooting fish in a barrel, but these folks come across as fairly goofy. One says: "The coolest part about this is that we get to see all three movies together. This is the way Tolkien intended it." And her friend says: "I've never read the books at all. I want to read them but they look so long. I'd rather see a long movie." You know, the way Tolkien intended. And one more: "I've read the trilogy five times, but never the last 50 pages so I still have something to look forward to." Since, of course, Tolkien didn't intend for you to read all of the book. But it's just as well, I suppose, because Jackson's version doesn't cover the last 100 pages or so of the book, either.

Update: Or, at least, the movie doesn't cover the last 100 pages or so as well as I'd have liked.

No comments: