Thursday, January 27, 2005

Or what you will.

I’ve always enjoyed good presentations of Shakespeare in the movies. Certainly the classics by Olivier and Branagh come to mind: Much Ado About Nothing, Henry V, and so many others. And they don’t have to be set in the traditional setting of the play: McKellan’s Richard III is wonderful.

A new version of Twelfth Night came out on DVD this month. A British Channel 4 production, it’s set in present day and stars Parminder Nagra as Viola. It’s excellent, and I happily recommend it. Will you ever find it at your local Blockbuster? Unlikely. Yet another reason to get Netflix.

Speaking of which, over the first year that I had Netflix, I’ve watched about 45 movies. Enough to break even versus renting at the local video store (especially if you factor in convenience and not having to make repeated trips to the store to get and return the DVD). Well worth the cost when you figure that something between a quarter and a half of the disks I rented wouldn’t be available at the local store.

On tap for this weekend: Y Tu Mama Tambien and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. (Unless I successfully make it out to the theaters this weekend to see one of the many Oscar-nominated movies I haven’t seen yet.)

No comments: