Friday, October 10, 2003

Honest work is good for you.

It teaches you the value of having a desk job.

Spent much of today - and bits and pieces of the week - clearing out hurricane debris from the back yard and hauling it out to the street, where the county will eventually come by and take it all away. And, of course, they want the long pieces (branches, trunks, what-have-you) cut to be no longer than 5 feet, so they can handle it more easily. So, after carting all the junk from the back to the front (and, as an aside, probably less than 40% came from my own trees; most of it came from trees in the yard behind mine, cut down by the power folks when they came to clear the lines), I then had to saw it into bite sizes. This takes longer when you don't have a chainsaw, and has the bonus of giving you blisters. About the time I was ready to stop, I saw the county's debris truck about 5 houses down from me. While the truck drove away, full, long before they got to me, I figured I had to get all the big stuff ready for them today, and I kept at it, instead of coming back inside to surf the web. (I mean, "work hard on my free-lance editing.")

Oh, well. Guess I'll sleep soundly tonight. Once the aspirin kicks in.

No comments: