Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Change is good.

Of late, I've been getting some odd coins in my change. I'm not sure why they're showing up in Richmond, which you wouldn't think has all that many people gallavanting around the world and bringing home coins to use in their daily purchases. But I've been getting them in change, which I apparently look at only closely enough to see that there are approximately the correct number of quarters and maybe dimes, and no closer.

Yesterday, I received a Netherlands 1-Euro-cent piece. Odd-looking coin: about the size of a punched hole from a three-hole-punch, and not a lot thicker. Made of some sort of coppery compound, so it looks like a shiny new cent, but it seems light, as though it's half aluminum. Feels like it's really not worth a whole lot, which I suppose is just as well.

And about a week ago, I got a Belize 25-cent piece. Just slightly smaller diameter than a U.S. quarter, but otherwise pretty easy to mistake for one, especially when it's discolored from being in circulation.

No comments: