Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Weather. Bah.

Living in a house built 50 years ago has its charms and its disadvantages. The latter showed up last night. Big thunderstorm. Lightning strike, somewhere back behind the house. Knocked out the cable momentarily, then part of the cable came back. Enough came back that I can get maybe 20 channels, albeit with a lot of snow and static, including the broadcast channels and OLN, but not HBO. Also knocked out - and not returning - was the cable connection to the internet. Bummer. When I looked at the junction from the main cable line to the one coming to my house, I could see disconnected wires hanging down. So now I'm reduced to going to the library to get online.

Called Comcast this morning to report the outage. Went through their telephone menus to report the problem as a TV-cable problem. Ended up putting in my phone number so they could locate where the call came from, and I got a recorded voice telling me that no outage had been detected in my area. Well, excuse me: I'm looking at my TV right now, and there's an outage. So I had to call back and go through the internet-cable series of menus, and after going through - by actual count - 14 menus, I got to a real, live person. She confirmed that it sounded like a problem, even though her system didn't show an outage near me, and said they'd send someone out to repair it. Tomorrow.

No comments: