Thursday, July 17, 2003

Pay twice to see a single movie? Not me.

Quentin Tarantino and Miramax have come up with what I'm sure they think is a nifty idea: release his upcoming movie "Kill Bill" in two parts, the first part in October and the second part between two and six months later. It's now a 3-hour movie, and this will split it into 90-minute parts. And all they're going to do is chop it in half - no filming additional scenes to ease the transition, or anything.

What an amazingly bad idea, on so many levels. If the movie really needs to be 3 hours long, let it be that long, and go ahead and release all of it. Aren't movie patrons still willing to watch a long movie, if it's good and the story justifies the length? Or would viewers need to have The Godfather cut into bite-size pieces for them? Or split The Longest Day into The Longest Morning and The Longest Afternoon? I have a higher opinion of movie viewers than Tarantino and Miramax do, apparently.

An alternative plan would be to cut the movie to a studio-acceptable length of 2 or 2 and a quarter hours. A good editor could help him do that. But I guess Tarantino is too big a director to work with an editor.

I certainly don't plan to watch the movie, not if I have to buy two separate admissions six months apart to see it all. I suppose I'll consider renting the DVD when it comes out and the two pieces are merged back into a single movie.

No comments: