Monday, July 18, 2005

On a roll.

Ah, coincidence. When I find a topic, I stick to it.

On my way home from work this evening, I stopped at a light immediately behind someone who had an affinity group license plate, and one which I think definitely falls into the group of plates for which there's no actual need: a plate celebrating membership in the Sons of Confederate Veterans. Well, presumably great-grandsons. The plate comes complete with a Confederate battle flag on it. (Technically, I suppose it's the emblem of the SCV, but 95% of that is the Confederate battle flag, and you'd have to be within two feet of the plate to see any distinction.) And, in theory at least, you have to prove membership in the SCV to get the plate, although I imagine that membership in the Klan would work just as well.

To provide additional evidence where, really, none was needed, the bumper stickers on the car made it abundantly clear that the car's owner would relish a return to the days of slavery and white supremacy.

Gah. It makes the other dopey affinity plates - such as the proposed plate celebrating Secretariat's Triple Crown achievement (although I have to admit that I am unaware of any Virginia connection to the horse) or the proposed "Friends of Tibet" plate, among others - a lot more reasonable in comparison.

No comments: