Wednesday, May 18, 2005


There are times when I feel like I'm living in the middle of a Disney movie. Newborn kittens at home, and even newer born baby birdies at work. There's a peregrine falcon nest on the floor where I work. And not merely on the same floor - it's about 8 feet from me. Behind a protective barrier of shelves and boxes, so we can't see them. But we can sure hear them when they screech; sometimes, they're loud enough to drown out the banal conversation in the room. Not often enough, alas.

About three weeks ago, the female falcon decided to take a closer look at us, and swooped up onto the ledge right outside my window. Right outside. They sure have an intense stare when you're only three feet away from them. You could tell that the little wheels behind her eyes were going round and round: "If only I could get this window open, I'd have good eating for months."

Anyway, the falcon eggs hatched over the weekend, and the little puffballs are kind of cute.

No comments: