Sunday, August 01, 2004

Mystery ingredients.

I know that I've mentioned before that I read the ingredients panels on food. I've found another one.

Nestea has an interesting new product out, Unsweetened Iced Tea Concentrate. I got a sample packet of it a little while ago, and finally mixed it up today. Not bad. Better flavor than instant tea, easier to make iced tea this way than by boiling water to brew the tea from scratch. Not sure I'd go out of my way to buy it again, but I won't put it on my "don't ever buy" list.

The ingredients panel lists: water, tea concentrate [Okay, this means that they brew a more concentrated version of tea and water it down to put into this package. Not sure I understand the theory: why not leave it really concentrated and sell it in a smaller package?], natural flavors, phosporic acid, potassium sorbate (preservative), and caramel color. Wait a minute: they're making concentrated tea, and they feel the need to add coloring to it, like it was a Coke? That just seems wrong.

Perhaps the FAQ at the Nestea Iced Tea Concentrate website will help:
Q: Does this product contain artificial flavors or colors?
A: No, our NESTEA Liquid Concentrate does not contain artificial flavors or colors.


Personally, I'd have thought that putting caramel color into tea was the introduction of something artificial. But what do I know?

No comments: